Experian CreditLock is a feature of Experian IdentityWorksSM that allows you to quickly lock and unlock your Experian credit file. If someone tries to access your file when it's locked, you'll receive an attempted inquiry alert.
When your Experian credit file is locked, it is NOT accessible to:
- Banks and lenders checking your credit file for a credit or loan application.
- Companies checking your credit file so you can open new utility accounts, establish phone service or rent an apartment.
When your Experian credit file is locked, it is still accessible to:
- Potential employers or insurance companies.
- Companies that have an existing credit relationship with you.
- Collection agencies acting on behalf of companies you may owe.
- Personalized offers from Experian, if you choose to receive them.
- Companies providing pre-screened credit card offers.